Until the late eighteenth century the Rhoscolyn Estate was owned by the Hughes family, the last of which was Hugh Hughes (1713-1792) whose initials can be seen carved into a number of properties on the estate.
The estate then passed to Hugh’s daughter, Ellin, who married into the land owning Williams family of Ty Fry, Anglesey. Ellin and her husband, Hugh Williams, were survived by their daughter, Margaret, who inherited the Rhoscolyn and Ty Fry properties.
In 1791 Margaret married into another land owning family who made their fortune in lead mining: the Williams of Bodelwyddan Castle in what is now called Denbighshire. Her eldest son, Sir John Williams, inherited all properties at Bodelwyddan, Ty Fry and Rhoscolyn and, during the first half of the 19th Century, extensively refurbished and extended Bodelwyddan Castle.
Sir John married Lady Sarah Amherst, daughter of the 1st Earl Amherst of Kent, and had two daughters. Bodelwyddan was entailed to Sir John’s brother but the Anglesey properties were left to Sir John and Lady Sarah’s eldest daughter Margaret Maria.
In 1868 Margaret Maria married Edmund Hope Verney, eldest son and heir of Sir Harry Verney of Claydon, Buckinghamshire and the Rhoscolyn Estate has been owned by the Verney family ever since.
Plas, the principal house on the Rhoscolyn estate, was largely extended by Edmund and Margaret who built an additional stone wing in 1874 and the Cabbage Patch wing in 1895 (so called because it was built on that part of the garden). They extended the gardens and modernised several other estate properties, many of which still bear their initials in the stone work. They also supported and encouraged farming on the estate, which very much continues today.
Edmund and Margaret used Plas as a holiday home and apart from an interlude during the Second World War, when the house was offered for the use of evacuees, it has remained as such.
In early 2011 the estate entered a new and exciting chapter in its history, beginning a long term programme of investment and improvement to bring it into the 21st Century, and ensure the estate’s long term security.
The initial phase of this exercise has been the comprehensive modernisation and refurbishment of Plas and The Cabbage Patch so that more people can enjoy these historic buildings and the wonderful place that is Rhoscolyn.